Blog #10: Ensuring Traceability of your seed
Traceability is a very important consideration. Things that I want to consider is the origin of that seed. Was it from seed stock from a few years ago, or was it the seed I have been growing out year after year for a while now. This all has to be documented. We will start by creating Lot Numbers that I will add to every Seed Crop Plan that I make yearly. I will also include on every Seed Crop Plan the origin of the mother seed using Lot Numbers from previous years.
I will have to start with creating a Lot Number for the seeds I have originally purchased of carrots, beets, and spinach from West Coast Seeds or William Dam Seeds. These were the parent seeds. Although I didn't grow them, I will start a binder with Lot Numbers and they will be the first recorded seeds. From there I will continue to document the Lot's that I grow in the future. There will be a detailed Lot Log Book. As well, I will have the Lot numbers on each year's Seed Crop Plan. The Seed packet that the seeds go into will have the Lot number from that year's harvest included.
I think that should be sufficient for tracing the lineages.
I will have to start with creating a Lot Number for the seeds I have originally purchased of carrots, beets, and spinach from West Coast Seeds or William Dam Seeds. These were the parent seeds. Although I didn't grow them, I will start a binder with Lot Numbers and they will be the first recorded seeds. From there I will continue to document the Lot's that I grow in the future. There will be a detailed Lot Log Book. As well, I will have the Lot numbers on each year's Seed Crop Plan. The Seed packet that the seeds go into will have the Lot number from that year's harvest included.
I think that should be sufficient for tracing the lineages.
Hi Lisa; I'm glad to see you've thought through the steps you'll take in recording seed lots, even from the very beginning of giving a seed lot number to the seed you originally purchased. Tracking each subsequent years grow-out of seed and keeping it all in a binder (or computer file) will be very useful for you.
ReplyDeleteThe only other thing I'd encourage you to do, is to come up with a specific plan for how you will create lot numbers, and to use that method always. There are many different ways to develop a lot number system so you can make it work for your particular needs. As an example I used a lot number that recorded the seed type, seed cultivar, place grown, year grown, and organic status. So a lot number that looked like this: BEMXKJ16OG stood for Bean, Maxibel, Kootenay Joe Farm, 2016, Organic
Hi Lisa - I'm pleased that you're starting by giving your original seed stock lot numbers. This is an important step that many overlook. In your lot number log, you should also record the lot numbers that West Coast or William Dam printed on their packets (if they did and if you still have them); this would enable you to get them to track their seed back to source as well, if an issue arises.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you're planning to do this, but I combine my lot number log with my packaging log, so that every time I package seed, I enter the number of packets against the specific lot of seed I packaged it from. This really helps track your use of the seed from each lot.