How Will I Grow My Seeds

My Seed Garlic and I

I currently have a certified organic mixed farm with cows, sheep, pigs, laying hens, a mixed market garden, and a small year-round shoots production.  The intent is to easily add our seeds into this certification process.

I have been lucky enough to grow up on an organic farm and I have never considered the conventional methods, so I don't know what I could possibly be missing with chemical fertilizers, pesticides, or fungicides.  I am instead inspired to work with our natural systems and build them up so that we can have healthy soils, plants, animals, and people.

I am hoping over the next few years to establish some permanent raised beds for growing vegetables and seeds, which will require some trial and error for my area.  We will trial different systems for weed control in the pathways, and different tools for light tillage to prepare seeds beds for direct seeding.  I am hearing more and more about how tillage kills microbes and the life in our soil.  Therefore, I want to get away from tilling in the future as much as I can.  This is the ambition to start experimenting with the permanent raised beds.

To fertilize the garden every year we currently use compost made from pig manure.  We want to focus on making a better composting system and incorporate chicken manure and shavings from the chicken coops, along with pig, sheep, and cattle manure whenever we can collect it on the farm.  We want to incorporate a 3-5 year crop rotation.  We would have one year of cover crops and animal impact to add as many nutrients into the garden areas while trying to get ahead of weed pressure.  The following years we would implement permanent raised beds which would be top dressed with compost.  I would like to look into compost teas as a seasonal fertility addition to feed the microbes.

Over the years I have been interested in organics, biodynamics, permaculture, and even regenerative agriculture.  At the moment I am only interested in certifying as organic and continue to practice pieces of the other growing practices.  I am fairly familiar with the rules and regulations for growing vegetables, which I think are very similar to saving the seeds.  However, regulations that I am not familiar with are which varieties we are allowed to save and sell in Canada.  I know with the many patent laws this has become a tricky set of regulations to get a hold on and understand.

I use 'we' a lot, because my dream is to grow these crops with a partner or partners.  The idea is to have a coop of organic seed producers in the area working together to have a huge variety of locally grown seeds.

I am looking forward to diving into the techniques to growing vegetable seeds organically!

Comments

  1. Thanks for inviting me to your blog Lisa, it's good to finally be able to read what you've written. Your farm experience speaks for itself, I can tell you've grown up around organic farming and are familiar with it's various manifestations. I too have been a certified organic grower, and have explored biodynamics as well. Seed growing can be done within either approach, as well as permaculture and regenerative agriculture; it's fundamental to the process of being self-reliant on a farm, the heart of most sustainable agriculture systems I can think of.
    It's interesting that you are thinking of moving towards permanent raised beds (within your five year rotation plan). We have one other student in this seed course also using permanent raised beds, and it's pretty new for her as well. You may want to follow her blog to read more about it. Here's her URL if you want to do that: http://meghanmceachernseedplan.blogspot.ca/2018/05/blog-post-1-how-will-i-grow-i-seed.html
    I look forward to reading more about your farm and your seed plan. All the best,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! I love your picture! Since you're already Certified Organic, you obviously have a pretty clear idea of how you're going to grow your seeds. It will be fairly easy to fold your seed crops into your certification process although I've found that certifiers aren't very familiar with seed production and you may have to educate them a bit :).
    I wouldn't worry too much about which varieties you can save and sell in Canada, as long as you stick with open-pollinated varieties; particularly heirlooms and OSSI seed varieties (if you haven't heard of OSSI, you will further on in the course).

    All the best,

    Mary

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #13: Identify Market Trends

Blog Post #12: Storage Requirements and Provisions for Seed Crop